This project’s objective was to design a cryptocurrency wallet app for Coinsource, a Bitcoin ATM (BTM) operator. When a user purchases Bitcoin through a BTM, they must have a Bitcoin wallet where the Bitcoin can be sent. The overarching obstacle was creating a wallet app to attract new customers while also appealing to existing BTM users.
Utilizing market research, competitor analysis, and existing BTM user data enabled communication between the product team and key stakeholders.
During the research phase, one of my primary responsibilities was reviewing competitors’ apps as designated by our product and marketing teams. We viewed ourselves as a mix between a cryptocurrency wallet and a neobank. I documented different flows within these apps and created flow diagrams in Figma. These visual representations of the app’s flows helped stakeholders from various departments form ideas about the functionality and design of the Coinsource app. In addition, we pulled in-house data on our existing BTM users to explore trends surrounding neobank and crypto users.
Leveraging research, two personas were developed to enable empathy with users and assist design decisions.
Our personas (Flynn and Garret) represented unique users with different backgrounds, goals, motivations, and paint points. Because these personas possess sensitive business information, I can’t discuss them in much detail. However, I can disclose that these personas where created under the prevailing notion that BTM users are often under/unbanked because of a lack of access to or distrust of traditional financial institutions.
Information architecture, sketches, and wireframes made it possible to collect feedback from users and stakeholders.
My favorite part of the project began after we had a strong grasp on what we were building and who we were building it for. We took our first swing at the app’s information architecture and began sketching out screens. This quickly evolved into our first lofi wireframes, which we were eager to show users and stakeholders. Based on this feedback, we seemed to be headed in the right direction. The suggested changes were minor; most feedback centered around confusing labels or icons.
With validated wireframes, the design library was built out along with high-fidelity designs.
After discussing the feedback regarding our wireframes, we moved forward with mockups resembling the app's final aesthetics. I built out a library of colors, fonts, and components in Figma to enhance our ability to quickly make changes. Utilizing Figma’s auto-layout and interactive components, we were able to streamline the design process.
Figma’s prototyping tools and a well built library made handoff to developers a breeze.
We collaborated with developers from the beginning to ensure designs fit within technical constraints. Our prototypes featured interactive components, allowing us to illustrate motion and flows to developers. Sharing our library allowed the development team to see all of our components in their different status and states.
An inexpensive and flexible testing schedule included monthly usability testing post launch.
To help the product team rapidly iterate and improve upon the app, I developed dual-purpose customer surveys. These surveys helped us continuously learn how to improve the app and expand a list of users who opted in for usability testing. I planned to conduct the usability testing monthly with 3-5 users.