In the research phase, one of my primary responsibilities was looking into apps our product and marketing teams identified as potential competitors. We viewed ourselves as a mix between a cryptocurrency wallet and a neobank. I documented different flows within these apps and created flow diagrams in Figma. Having visual representations of the app’s flows helped stakeholders from every department come together to form ideas about the functionality and design of the Coinsource app. In addition, we pulled in-house data on our existing BTM users and explored trends surrounding neobank and crypto users.
Our personas (Flynn and Garret) represented two unique users with different backgrounds, goals, motivations, and paint points. Because these personas remain sensitive business information, I can’t discuss them in much detail. However, I can disclose that these personas where created under the prevailing notion that BTM users are often under/unbanked because of a lack of access to or distrust of traditional financial institutions.
My favorite part of the project began after we had a strong grasp on what we were building and who we were building it for. We took our first swing at the app’s information architecture and began sketching out screens. This quickly evolved to our first lo-fi wireframes, which we were eager to show users and stakeholders. Based on this feedback, we seemed to be headed in the right direction. The suggested changes were minor; most feedback centered around confusing labels or icons.
After discussing the feedback regarding our wireframes, we moved forward with mockups resembling the app's final aesthetics. I built out a library of colors, fonts, and components in Figma in enhance our ability to make quick changes. Utilizing Figma’s auto-layout and interactive components, we were able to streamline the design process.
It’s important to note that we collaborated with developers from the beginning to make sure designs fit within technical constraints. Our prototypes featured interactive components, allowing us to illustrate motion and flows to developers. Sharing our library allowed the development team to see things all our components in their different status and states.
To allow the product team to rapidly iterate and improve upon the app, I developed dual-purpose customer surveys. These surveys would help us continuously learn how to improve the app and expand a list of users who opted in for usability testing. I planned to conduct the usability testing monthly with 3-5 users.